Thursday, January 19, 2006

There will come, a day....

I had gone to my landlords place and was bluffing about starting my own radio station called Converstation. The old couple... Annie Coutinho and her husband were both listening to all the lies i had to say... i gave them the last cheque and said goodbye. Just as i was about to walk away from the building i heard something. It was coming from the ground floor apartment. A lady standing by the window was calling out loud...."Paapi" which means 'sinner'. someone inside me broke...someone inside me toughened...something inside me knew..And someone i didn't know until that day started walking and walk i did for a mile to a place where there was a board on which were the following words written in hindi..."Prasanna Jeevan"...I stood dumbfounded on the other side of the road where my feet had stopped by themselves. I had never noticed the board before...i had never seen the board before..but those words...."Paapi" dragged me to the opposite end of this road in front of that horrendous sign which said "Prasanna Jeevan" meaning "Contented Life" and.. my heart broke and i cried. I was sobbing. Tears were rivers. My life my heart and my body my memories my past present and future and all that touched me during the course of my existence was crying. The sounds became louder but died out in the noise of the traffic. I was on this side of the road..and the sign on the other....I would never cross over to the other side. I cried for the millions... and mocking at the "Contented life" sung the song "Hum honge kamyaab ek din" ...which means "There will be a day when we will succeed"...

No comments: